Enforcing Custody Orders: What to Do When the Other Parent Violates the Custody Order 

The family law attorneys at the David W. Martin Law Group are aware that child custody agreements are essential to both parents’ mental health and the welfare of their children. Families may experience stress and worry due to disagreements and orders being disobeyed. We’ll talk about what parents in Greenville can do to safeguard their parental rights and their children’s best interests in this blog article when the other parent disobeys custody orders.

Enforcing Custody Orders

Understanding Orders of Custody

The Significance of Custody Orders: Custody orders are legally binding contracts that specify the rights and obligations of each parent with relation to the upbringing and custody of their children.
Visitation schedules, decision-making power, and other critical aspects of co-parenting are usually covered by these orders.

What Does a Violation Mean?

1. Noncompliance with visiting Schedule: The other parent may be in breach of custody orders if they often miss scheduled visiting times without a good explanation.
2. Denial of Parenting Time: It is a clear violation of custody orders to knowingly deny the other parent visitation or parenting time as required by the court.
3. Interference with Communication: It is also illegal to stop the other parent from speaking with the child via phone conversations, emails, or other channels.

What to Do If Custody Orders Are Ignored

1. Document Violations: Maintain thorough records of all the occasions the other parent disobeys custody orders, together with the dates, times, and particulars of each violation.
2. Try to Resolve Amicably: To start, attempt to settle the conflict amicably by talking to the other parent about your concerns and looking for a workable solution.
3. Seek Legal Assistance: To learn more about your legal alternatives, speak with an experienced family law attorney if an amicable resolution is not possible or if violations continue.

Legal Recourse for Violations of Custody Orders

1. Filing a Motion for Contempt: If the other parent routinely disobeys custody orders, you can ask the court to enforce the current orders by filing a motion for contempt.
2. Modification of Custody Orders: You may ask the court to change custody orders to better represent the child’s best interests and guarantee compliance in situations when there have been serious or persistent violations.
3. Asking for Make-Up Parenting Time: In order to make up for missing visitation times, the court may require the other parent to give make-up parenting time.

How the team at the David W. Martin Law Group can Help:

1. Legal Representation: By defending your parental rights and your children’s best interests, our knowledgeable family law attorneys can offer expert representation in court procedures related to violations of custody orders.
2. Mediation Services: To reduce the need for contentious litigation, we provide mediation services to assist parents in resolving conflicts and coming to agreements outside of court.
3. Enforcing Court Orders: We make every effort to guarantee that the other parent is held responsible for any violations of the custody orders, and we take appropriate legal action when necessary.

Contact Our Attorney Today

Violations of custody orders can upset the dynamics of the family and put parents and kids under unnecessary stress. Consult a lawyer right away if your co-parent is persistently disobeying the terms of the custody agreement.

With a focus on providing compassionate and competent legal counsel, the David W. Martin Law Group can assist you in upholding custody orders and safeguarding your parental rights. For a private consultation, get in touch with us right now. We will help you navigate this difficult period with professionalism and understanding.


Message Us


Call today to be our next satisfied legal client.

David W. Martin Law Group

Fort Mill Office

108 Springs Street
Fort Mill, SC 29715-1722

Indian Land Office

1061 Red Ventures Drive, Suite 145
Fort Mill, S.C. 29707

Greenville Office

910 E. North Street
Greenville, SC 29601

Spartanburg Office

324 East St. John Street, Suite F-2
Spartanburg, SC 29302

Rock Hill Office

331 Oakland Avenue
Rock Hill, SC 29730

Bluffton Office

110 Trader’s Cross, 1st Floor
Bluffton, SC 29909

Myrtle Beach Office

2411 N. Oak Street, Suite 301-M
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

Mt. Pleasant Office

1240 Winnowing Way,
Suite 102 Office 1120
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29466

Columbia office

1501 Main Street,
Suite 507, Columbia, SC.

Contact Us

Text Us